Spam issues

Discussion about this forum and other projects that do not have their own section. Feel free to brainstorm about your own ideas.
Daleth
Site Admin

Spam issues

Post by Daleth » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:01 pm

Hey guys, the spam-prevention measures of this board (captcha when registering mainly) were broken last year. By October I was having to remove spam posts daily. I got busy and the spam got way out of hand, where thousands of messages were being auto-posted daily and it was far too much for me to manually remove. I have updated the forum and implemented some new measures that hopefully will prevent future spam bots from joining. I mass-deleted tens of thousands of spam posts after the update, being careful to avoid removing anything legitimate.

With that said, we likely do have spam bots which already registered but have not posted any messages. I have already seen a few who registered before the update post spam messages. I hate to remove accounts which may be real people who haven't gotten around to posting yet (maybe they just wanted to check out the Echoes client). I will monitor and remove spam as I see it and hope to do a better job in the future. Eventually all of these bots will be removed.

I apologize for the inconvenience!

Karsus

Re: Spam issues

Post by Karsus » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:37 am

I was just dropping by to try to weed thru the spam for anything substantial!

Good work on the landscaping, eff those weeds.

Daleth
Site Admin

Post by Daleth » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:52 pm

Sigh, I guess ReCaptcha was broken recently. Looks like a few weeks ago spam bots were able to start registering again. I'll have to look at more measures I can take. I deleted everything I could find and banned all the bots, but I'm sure more will be back.

Daleth
Site Admin

Post by Daleth » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:02 pm

Ok, trying something new. We set a verification question that is DFC-related, so hopefully humans would be able to answer it, but bots won't. We'll see how that goes.